Re-entering the Toronto rental housing market for what feels like the hundredth time in the 15 years I’ve lived here is stressing me out.
My boyfriend Christopher and I are on the hunt for the perfect place to start our lives together as a couple, and we’re looking to our friends and networks to find that special, unadvertised place. Yep, I’m finally growing up and shacking up! We’re excited and eager to make this move. My promise to myself is that this move will be my last before I buy a place and get back into the real estate market. (I sold my condo back when I quit my job, went back to school and changed careers, but that’s a whole other story.)
Here’s a profile of the kind of place we’re looking for:
- 2 bedrooms or 1 bedroom plus den (Chris is going to grad school, MSW, and needs a place to study)
- Neighbourhoods: anywhere from Leslieville in the east to High Park in the west and north to the Annex or Dupont.
- No basement apartments, but main floor kitchen/living/dining and well-finished basement level bedrooms or rec room could work
- Preferably in a house, townhouse, small/lowrise or other interesting space (coach houses are also cool!)
- Some kind of outdoor space – balcony, yard or deck
- A well equipped kitchen with good storage and a dishwasher (Chris loves to cook, I love to eat, and I hate doing dishes)
- Ensuite laundry
Those are the main requirements. A/C is a bonus.